Doing it for the fun of it.
So I finished Elsa’s dress a whole week before Katsucon. So I decided to get right to work on Anna’s coronation dress for my little sister. I had some black corduroy that kinda looked like velvet. So I cut out the corset using the same pattern I used for Elsa, since Anna’s corset had the sweetheart neckline too. Quickly sewed it together and because my sister is so small I was able to just use a zipper as a closure.
That next day I had a friend of mine who will be going to Katsucon come over to get some help with her Jack Frost costume. She thought it would be fun to do Jack and Elsa photos together. So she came over with a wig that needed styling and a hoody that needed to be glitterfied. I had told Hesa that I had a bit of glitter left over after I had finished Elsa and that she was free to use it. SO we did a quick trimming of the wig which made Hesa look like she had really strange Yeti shoulders. and sat down to show her how to use the glitter. I do have to say the hoody came out great, I can’t wait to get better pictures of it. We also made her a snowflake ring like mine using a snowflake ornament she found in her stash.
I didn’t have enough or the right fabric laying around to make the skirt so I made a quick trip to Joann’s with a picture. I didn’t buy any “fancy” fabric, like satin , I ended up buying a regular solid cotton fabric. I knew I only had a week to put this together and my little sister is rough on clothing so I decided a more durable, machine washable fabric would be best. I got four yards of each fabric, cuz my sister is short and doesn’t need more than a yard for length, and went home to stare at the fabric. I do this a lot when I am not using a pattern, I just stare at the fabric trying decide how best to cut the pieces. I do usually sketch out in chalk the shape I want but because I don’t draft patterns in scrap fabric I always run the risk of making mistakes. SO after staring at the fabric for about thirty minutes, I finally committed and made the first cut. There is no going back 😛
After cutting out all the pieces I did a quick hem on the center panels and painted on the design. I first layed out the panels and sketched the design with chalk. Looking at it now the pattern and the panels are to wide, but for the time I had I feel it looks fine. Once the paint had dried I ironed and attached the center panels to the beige fabric. Then began to sew the dark green and beige panels alternating as I went. I only had three more panels to go when I decided I should probably go ahead and start pleating the skirt to make sure it wouldn’t end up too big for my sister. and after I had done that I called her to see if she could come over. And it was a good thing I did, because there was no way I was going to be able to pleat the panels any smaller for it to fit her. So I added the last green panel and sewed in the zipper, and then did a quick waistband and had her try it on. It fit great so I hemmed the ridiculous amount of fabric and did a final pressing.
Lastly I had to do the decorative cap sleeves and her necklace. The sleeves were easy enough, just cut out wide strips and gather them, I eyeballed the placement and had to wait to try it on my sister the next day. The necklace was a simple green pendant on a black ribbon. So I grabbed some scraps of Wonderflex and cut out the shape I wanted, heated three layers together and painted to the color I wanted. Did a clear coat over the top and threaded a ribbon through. Her hair comb I bought at Joann’s and made a decorative top that kinda looks like it does in the movie. Well, has the same basic shape, and pained it gold.
I happen to have a bunch of hoop skirts and crinolines so I didn’t have to make that to help hold the weight of the skirt. It holds a nice shape and looks pretty good for a weeks work. It is supposed to snow in a few days and looks like it might be a lot, so I think we should have no problem doing some very fun, but fast, photo shoots in the snow at Katsucon. This weekend is going to be a blast.