Creative Costuming…

Doing it for the fun of it.

Panic!

boot1bootsOk, we are now entering the “Panic” faze of Dragon*Con prep. 52 days left lots of work still to do. I sent in my application for the Friday Night Costume Contest for my Valkyrie. I am nervous but very excited, this will be my first year in the Journeyman division. Hope my stuff is good enough.

I am getting so very close to finishing the twins Ruffnut and Tuffnut. I just need to make their belts and I am finished. I worked on the boots last week, it took a while to decide how I was going to construct them as my cousin isn’t around for me to make sure the pair of shoes I bought fit, so I ended up making slip covers so that he can wear which ever shoes he chooses and can put the boot cover on. They turned out pretty good, but my sewing nook looks like a cat exploded with all the f0-fur tufts everywhere. I have sewn together the Tuffnut pants and have dyed them but want to dye them once more to make them a little darker, at the moment they are exactly the smae color as the shirt, so I need to darken them a bit to help brake it up. My fabric is sitting out for the belts so it shouldn’t take me too long to piece them together.

this was the one that didn't work.

this was the one that didn’t work.

sculpt

create the shape wanted with clay.

I also did my first ever facial prosthetic for my Irathient costume. Molded the shape I wanted on my face cast with clay, cast the clay mold to create the negative and poured the latex in to create 2 really nice pieces, with what I think are damn fine edges.Ā  I will use one to do a final make-up test and save the other for the actual day of the Con. I was really hesitant about trying to make my own prosthesis, but I think it will make the costume that much better. And it wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be. My very first pour of latex didn’t work out great, I had poured the latex in and placed my face cast and the negative together, but it wouldn’t dry, so I just did an open air pour with the negative cast for the two pieces I got.

The two finished pieces :)

The two finished pieces šŸ™‚

after I finished the sculpt I put a barrier around with some clay to hold the plaster.

after I finished the sculpt I put a barrier around with some clay to hold the plaster.

After they plaster dried I pulled apart the two pieces and cleaned out the clay.

After they plaster dried I pulled apart the two pieces and cleaned out the clay.

Hopefully by next week I will have finished the twins and started the Fire Nation costume. Then I just have to find pieces for my Iratient. Its not a ton of work, it’s just sitting down and doing it that’s hard. I will be going to the beach for a few days, and making runs to friends houses further south to help with costumes this month. So August will hopefully only be final touches to costumes. But who knows… Hopefully the Costume Gods will smile on me and make these last few weeks go smoothly. šŸ™‚

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on July 8, 2013 by in Costuming and tagged , , , , , , , , .
%d bloggers like this: